Sunday, 15 April 2012

Lauryn Hill at the Indigo 02 London 14th April 2012

Lauryn Hill hit the stage in London, UK for the first time in FIVE YEARS and tickets sold out in the first 36 seconds (how is that even possible?!).





First of all I'd like to say: I queued up from 3PM determined to get to the front row and so Gemma joined me at 4 and there were only 15 of us in the Que! Then by 5.30 the line grew, by 7pm we were in (front of course)..It's Lauryn Hill of course (I'd only do that for her and went mad for MJ too). 






She had a warm up DJ who killed it. Playing tunes like "No Games" Serani, and "Hold Yu" Gyptian (you know once those keys drop everyone gets the gun fingers up & wines)...as well as some club bangers. When he played Rihanna my face dropped LOL but otherwise he killed it. He also later gets on the mic with Lauryn on the Fugees tracks.


Band came on. Nice build up for the warm up. Then....out of nowhere she appears and I kid you not she looked like a QUEEN. She has returned. She's BACK WHAM BHAM killing.


Her stylist "Moniqua" put her in some beautiful attire. She had a long gold dress, a see through hooded thin jacket (she had the hood up till she hit the mic), knee high leopard print boots (WERK) that you saw when she gracefully lifted parts of her dress up, 2 very long different blocked gold earrings (down to her hips and one fell off later), 2 rings, with eyes on...(?), a necklace with an "M" and "S" on. Her hair was natural and she looked amazing.  


She opened with a funky version of "Killing me softly". Her voice, raspy but still youthful. She hit notes, she did the dam thing. She killed it. She went through (in a funky way) the Miseducation album.
     Keys player (Michel), 2 Bass, 3 BVs....1 in the pic below. (one has 200 followers on twitter?? and he's touring with Lauryn Hill I don't get it anyway....) and a drummer.
     She then left. Came back on. Her humour was fun, she reminded me of me with her confused face and pickiness on the sounds in the band ha! But it was so lovely to see her back. 
    She said she has had the toughest five years you can imagine but without going in to detail she said:

"WE HAD TO CUT THROUGH....WE HAD TO CUT THROUGH TO GET THROUGH.....I HAVE MISSED YOU...I HAVE NOT BEEN GONE FOR NO REASON...THERE HAS BEEN A LOT OF RESISTANCE BUT I AM HERE AND....YOU LOOK GOOD....YOU LOOK BEAUTIFUL.....ALL GROWN UP AND SHIT"" 
    
Then she did a new song from her new material (word on the street says new album drops September). Lauryn also said she'll be back to do her unplugged stuff just her and guitar.
    I noticed she didn't mention God at all (something I notice) and this is something she often does. I also noticed she changed the word "Lord" in "Turn your lights down low" to something that sounded like "Lemon" I could be mistaken, But my feeling is she has been told to talk less about her personal faith and do the songs THIS time round. I think she'll be back and once she has done her tours etc be back to Lauryn Hill, the lady who speaks her mind. She looked at her tour manager and asked the crowd if we wanted to hear her unplugged stuff and the crowd cheered. 


Everyone went crazy for the Fugees smashes. "Ready or not", "Killing me softly" she sung beautiful. She sung a Bob Marley cover and she also sung a Stevie Wonder cover and did a freestyle of how her dress is falling down and that she looked a mess (she didn't she looked stunning). 


Ladies need to listen to less Rihanna, less of basically everything in the charts, and study Lauryn Hill's music! Her words are mind-blowing.


Until next time. Thank you LAURYN! Also XRISTOS ANESTI (Greek Easter). xxx






haha






Her BV


The tweets if you hashtag "LaurynHill" all agree she killed it, best night, inspired etc etc. 


She touched my soul :)

1 comment:

  1. She touched my soul, her voice was amazing and she was very appreciative of the crowd. I love her whole performance but my fav was zion,lost ones, everthing is everything, all the fugees songs she did, final hour, nothing even matter (the male backup singer was superb!), turn your lights down low and of course ex-factor.
    I am so glad, I had the opportunity to see her live, I never believed it would happen.

    from a happy fan!!

    ReplyDelete